What are CEUs?
A CEU is a Continuing Education Unit. To maintain an active and valid nursing license, nurses will participate in ongoing continuing education throughout their career. One CEU is equivalent to ten contact hours.
Always be sure to check with your state board of nursing to ensure the CEU credits will be approved.
How do you get CEUs?
Many facilities will offer free CEUs to their employees throughout the year. If your facility doesn’t offer CEUs then check out Global Training Institute’s immersive continuing education courses.
Unfortunately, the hours you work in a clinical setting, orientation classes, or mandatory facility meetings are just part of the grind and don’t count towards CEUs.
Nurses who attend conferences, seminars, or workshops can be eligible for CEUs.
So how many CEUs do you need?
CEU requirements per state can be found here. Some states have specific requirements and should be read thoroughly before participating in CEU activities. Time is precious, don’t waste it!
On average nurses need between 20 – 30 contact hours with every nursing license renewal. This typically is required every 2 years and once the window for CEU accumulation passes it starts over. This is designed to motivate nurses to consistently learn and improve year after year.
Can I take CEU courses for free?
YES! There are some that you can take for free. Remember that CEU courses are meant to CONTINUE education and should not be treated as just another checklist item. We have excellent courses at GTI for extensive hands-on training and simulation for all types of Nursing Specialties!
Best Free Online Nursing Courses:
- Keep It Clean: Hand Hygiene and Skin Antisepsis (1 CE)
- Medication Reconciliation: Avoiding Dangerous Errors (1 CE)
- Substance Abuse and Women (1 CE)
- Knocking Out Pain Safely with PCA (1 CE)
- Medication Nonadherence (1 CE)
- Clinical Guidelines for the Management of PTSD & Acute Stress Disorder (3 CE)
- Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (AATD) – Genetics You Should Know (2 CE)
- Improving Outcomes in Oral Anticoagulation Therapy Management (2 CE)